INTEGRATION OF NOVEL OPTICAL OBSERVATIONS IN CMEMS–BGC MODELS TO IMPROVE THE CMEMS BGC PRODUCTS
PI and organization: P. Lazzari (OGS)
Co-Is: G. Cossarini (OGS), S. Salon (OGS), C. Solidoro (OGS), F. D’Ortenzio (LOV), V. Vellucci (LOV)
In the BIOPTIMOD project we presented an upgrade of the current bio-optical model of the CMEMS MED-MFC biogeochemical system to a multi-spectral radiative transfer (RT) bio-optical model. The task requires radiometric data gathering and quality check, and includes the analysis of published algorithms to estimate the downward irradiance values just below the sea surface.
The key results of the project are related to:
- the possibility to include novel metrics based on radiometric data-streams from multispectral satellite sensor and BGC Argo floats;
- the novel metrics could be used to validate alternative formulations of organic carbon cycling in the primary producers by means of a direct validation of CDOM dynamics;
- the novel bio-optical model is able to reproduce the West–East DCM gradient as a self-emerging property;
- we show that the adoption of the diel cycle improves the model skill in terms of summer surface chlorophyll;
- the novel bio-optical model enables a multi-platform data assimilation based on the additional radiometric data-streams introduced in BIOPTIMOD.