Both services are provided by Mercator Ocean.
The Mercator Ocean Service offers customised oceanography services as part of its public-service mission.
The Copernicus Marine Service (CMS) offers an off-the-shelf oceanography service. This is a European public service proposed by Mercator Ocean, which was selected and then delegated by the European Commission to operate the service. Mercator Ocean is also a supplier of numerical modelling products of the global ocean for the Copernicus Marine Service.
The products created by Mercator Ocean are distributed (exclusively) by the Copernicus Marine Service or the Mercator Ocean Service. This means that the Mercator Ocean products included in the Copernicus Marine Service catalogue are only available via the Copernicus Marine Service, and also that the products and services offered by Mercator Ocean are only accessible via the Mercator Ocean Service.
The Mercator Ocean Service offers customised oceanography services:
- Mercator Ocean offers through its expertise a service for oceanographic products for the global ocean. These numerical modelling products cover all seas around the globe, from the surface to the seabed, at horizontal resolutions of between 1/36° and 1°, depending on the geographical area. They include physical, biological, and ice parameters, mostly since the beginning of the 1990s up to now, as well as 7-day forecasts.
- Do you need oceanography expertise? Specific products? In special formats? With certain variables? Covering a particular period? Of a given ocean layer? … You are developing products concerning:
- Please use this online form to describe your needs and expectations in a few lines; we will get back to you as soon as possible.
- Please be aware that the Mercator Ocean Service is open to all, but that rights and access differ depending on the users and uses. Find out more.
- For any questions, please contact email@example.com
The Copernicus Marine Service offers a catalogue-based oceanography service:
- The Copernicus Marine Service offers a wide selection of oceanography products, ranging from observation products (using satellite and in-situ data), to numerical modelling products. These different products, listed in a single catalogue, cover the global ocean and the six European basins: the Arctic, Baltic, North-East Atlantic (northern and southern parts), Mediterranean and the Black Sea. Whether from observation or from models, the products include both physical and biogeochemical parameters and extend over long time periods going back to the beginning of the 1990s, sometimes earlier, and including near real time for observation products, with forecasting covering several days for products generated by models.
- The products are created by various European producers and distributed by the Copernicus Marine Service via an online catalogue.
- You can choose the products in which you are interested from the Copernicus Marine Service’s online catalogue and download them (registration required for the first download).
- The Copernicus Marine Service is open and free to any user and for any use in compliance with the conditions of use
- For any question, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org post your question on the forum.